Pig Conservation Policy
|Watchlist||Registered Breeding females|
1.43 x (3yr average of female registrations)
Consider use of BPA census data.
|Gene Bank Targets per Breed||
25 unrelated males
Conservation semen collected and used by BPA
|DNA (blood, hair or?)||Monitor technology|
|RBST Owned Stock||As an emergency response in rare cases of genetic importance|
minimum numbers for a viable breeding group
|2 sows and a male (or AI)|
- RBST only recognises registered pedigree animals bred and living in the UK.
- Collections (except British Lop) are undertaken with the BPA (who hold semen from the same boars) to EU export level as standard.
- Because stocks of chilled semen are available for conservation breeding, semen collected by RBST is only kept for archive use.
- RBST monitors developments in pig reproductive technology, particularly for long-term semen storage.
- We encourage Approved Farm Parks to hold breeding groups.
- RBST monitors the threat from disease. We work to reduce geographical isolation of breeds. In the event of disease outbreak, RBST will provide support to breeders and attempt to relocate animals away from the threat.