They are a fairly hardy breed and will try to warn away or fight any predators that threaten them.
- The Embden originated in Germany, but is a popular breed in the UK and USA.
- It was one of the first goose breeds standardized in the UK in 1865.
- Birds in the UK differ from standard-bred birds in Germany, being much heavier.
- The Embden has a proud stature and reaches a metre in height.
- Ganders weigh 28-34lbs and females can reach 28lbs.
- Birds are pure white with a light orange bill.
Did you know?
Any white goose is not an Embden. There are many varieties of commercial geese which are white, but these are generally smaller, and also easier to breed because they have been developed as commercial crosses for a high output.
The Rare Breeds Survival Trust is the leading national charity working to conserve and protect the United Kingdom's rare native breeds of farm animals from extinction. We rely on the support of our members, grants and donations from the public to raise the £700,000 a year needed to maintain our conservation work with rare UK native breeds of farm animals. Visit www.rbst.org.uk to see how you can help.