Sheep Conservation Policy
|Watchlist||Registered Breeding females|
|Multiplier||3.33 x (3yr average of female registrations)|
|Gene Bank Targets per Breed||
25 unrelated males
Target: 100 doses per male, 55 for archive and 30 for conservation
|DNA (blood, hair or ?)||Monitor technology|
|Agisted Stock||As an emergency response in rare cases of genetic importance|
minimum numbers for a viable breeding group
|12 females and a male|
- RBST only recognises registered pedigree animals bred and living in the UK.
- Some semi-feral pure bred populations can be recognised.
- Semen collected at EU export licenced centres to UK use as standard.
- Gene Bank semen is stored in long-term archive.
- Registered coloured or black populations are considered as one breeding population with the white population for the purposes of the Watchlist.
- RBST acts as the registration authority for 8 sheep breeds and records births in the annual Combined Flock Book.
- RBST monitors relevant research, particularly developments in sheep reproductive technology.
- We encourage approved Farm Parks to hold breeding groups.
- RBST monitors the threat from disease. We work to reduce geographical isolation of breeds. In the event of disease outbreak, RBST will provide support to breeders and attempt to relocate animals away from the threat.