Who We Are
Rare Breeds Survival Trust is the leading national charity working to conserve and protect the United Kingdom's rare native breeds of farm animals from extinction. We believe in the value of the UK's rich and varied livestock heritage and that this needs to be conserved as a vital genetic resource for future generations and the benefit of agriculture.
- To secure the continued existence and viability of the UK's native farm animal genetic resources, so enabling farmers to meet the challenge of sustainable farming in an era of climate change and increasing cost pressures.
- A variety of food and farming products for consumers derived from sustainable livestock production systems.
- Promote knowledge and the keeping of registered UK rare breed livestock.
- Monitor the populations of native breeds and take action where necessary.
- Support and encourage responsible breeding programmes.
- Maintain and develop our gene bank of rare native breeds.
- Support and participate in research.
- Influence governments to ensure that there is a clear understanding of the issue of genetic diversity and the importance of conservation.
- Work with governments to minimise the impact of disease outbreaks.