The rules and regulations required for keeping farm livestock vary across species and can be different depending on your location.

Information on this can be found on the government website, giving advice on keeping farmed animals.

Key Points

County Parish Holding Number

If you have land and wish to keep livestock either as part of a business or as pets then you require a county parish holding (CPH) number, this covers:

  • bovine animals (cattle, bison and buffalo)
  • pigs
  • goats
  • sheep
  • deer
  • poultry (if you have 50 or more birds)

For more information on how to apply for a CPH please visit the relevant site based on your location for EnglandNorthern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.